Agincourt Places

Agincourt_600_charity_Fund_Donate_Redbar
Learn about places associated with the Battle of Agincourt

 

Agincourt_600_charity_Fund_Donate_Places

A few articles to whet your appetite:

Tretower, Powys

By Agincourt 600 Wales Though the historical record is somewhat spotty, Tretower is thought to occupy an important place in the Agincourt story. Due to the destruction of the castle at nearby Crickhowell during the Welsh uprising under Owain Glyndŵr, Tretower Castle is likely to have been the muster point for the local contingents who responded to Henry V’s call to arms in 1415. Tretower, an unusual ‘two-in-one’ historic site spanning many centuries, incorporates the castle and later manor house, a building rare in Wales. Though little remains of the...
Read More

Trecastle, Powys

By Agincourt Wales The home of Watkin Lloyd, captain of the Welsh archers at Agincourt, Trecastle is a small village with a big history. Situated between Brecon and Llandovery, it takes its name from the castle built here in the early 11th century. This simple Norman motte-and-bailey structure saw plenty of action – English King Edward I even spent time here in efforts to suppress a revolt. The castle remains can still been seen and are the biggest and best-preserved of their kind in the Brecon Beacons National Park. More...
Read More

Brecon, Powys

By Agincourt 600 Wales Henry V’s forces at the Battle of Agincourt included 500 Welsh archers and 23 men-at-arms. Of that number, 10 men-at-arms, 13 mounted archers and 146 foot archers formed the contingent from the Brecon area. The town’s Agincourt roots are still visible today. In Brecon Cathedral, the stained glass window commemorates Sir Roger Vaughan of Bredwardine, who died fighting at the Battle, along with his father-in-law Dafydd Gam. Dafydd – or Davy – has family links to the Games Monument, a recumbent effigy of a female figure...
Read More

Abergavenny, Monmouthshire

By Agincourt 600 Wales Set on the banks of the River Usk, the market town of Abergavenny has strong links to the Battle. Local nobleman William ap Thomas fought alongside Henry V at Agincourt and was knighted in 1426 by Henry VI, becoming known as ‘The Blue Knight of Gwent’ due to the colour of his armour. The Steward of the Lordship of Abergavenny, William lived at Raglan Castle and was responsible for many of the defensive improvements that can still be seen there today. William’s second wife Gwladys –...
Read More